Monday, July 25, 2011

Something Old, Something New

A few weeks ago, I was driving around town exploring when I found something that caught my eye ... Garden Ridge. I love this store because you can get great and inexpensive home furnishings. But finding Garden Ridge was only the beginning. See, the store was attached to a mall, which looked like it had once been thriving but now had a hodge podge of stores. As I walked in, I couldn't help but notice a sign that said "Antique Mall." Having seen many bloggers find amazing items antiquing, I just had to take a peek.

I probably spent a good hour in the store. It was made up of individual booths, so each corner had something new. To be honest, not everything could be classified "antique" to me. I mean, seriously, tupperware from the 70s that my mother has, doesn't count.

But, I did find many items that I loved. I thought these plates would be fun for a fancy party.


Or, how about a birdcage? Bird not included.


And, I loved this brightly colored desk.


I couldn't help but think of my co-worker and aspiring writer Monica when I saw this old-fashioned type writer.


Some of the items were a little above my price range. I came upon this chair that I thought would have been fun to put in my sunroom until I looked at the price and realized it was $295!



So, in the end, I didn't walk away with much, but I did need a few items to complete a dining room project. Here is what I bought.


These two old bottles helped round out my dining room table centerpiece perfectly!


I've used a variety of old and new items, many of which were already around my house. For instance, the beautiful antique pitcher was a wedding gift from my grandmother.


I'll probably switch out the flowers but these were some I already had and since they worked, I thought I might as well use them.


I bought the lemons at Tuesday Morning. I knew they were a win when Landon said he liked them!


I'm also still in need of another flower to fill the little bud vase. I'd love to tell you that I would use real flowers, but I decided fake were a better bet. I can't kill them.


I'm so excited to have everything in this room complete. It's so close. The chairs are the only last part. I keep saying I'm going to do them, but considering we are on our 20-plus day of 100-degree weather, the thought of going into the garage to paint them makes me break out into a sweat. I just need to put a drop cloth down in the sunroom and get them done. I'll add that to my list ...

2 comments:

Monica said...

I love all of these things, but especially the typewriter and birdcage! I will definitely have to make a trip to this antique mall and check it out since I've been on the prowl for the perfect typewriter for ages!

Kelly @ View along the way said...

I love Garden Ridge! Your centerpiece vignette is so sweet - just perfect.